Friday, January 3, 2014

The results are in...!

We finally got all the test results back and went to the doctor yesterday to hear an exact diagnosis. Drum role please.... Stage 2b Hodgkin's Lymphoma! That means that it's still in the early stages (awesome), and it hasn't spread below my diaphragm or into my bone marrow (really awesome). 

So now what? Well I will go in on Thursday morning to get my port put in, which is basically a little device that they'll put under my skin that makes it easy to administer the chemo, draw blood, all the fun stuff. It's like a little hub they make for easier access to my bloodstream. Then as soon as they've inserted that, I'll head downstairs to start my first chemo treatment! 

The chemotherapy that I'll have is called ABVD, which is made up of four different drugs that I'll receive each time I go in. (The A which stands for Adriamycin is the one that makes me lose my hair.. not cool) This first time I'll have to receive the chemo for about six hours, but all the other times should only last about two hours. When chemo is administered it's given in rounds and each round consists of 2 treatments about 14 days apart. I will have three rounds of chemo (3 months) and then we'll go back in and repeat all the tests that I had last week to determine if the cancer is gone or if I'll need three more months of treatment. Hopefully it will be gone by then and we won't need to do anymore chemo or start any radiation therapy.


Today we went to the fertility clinic to talk about the affects of chemo on fertility and if it's worth it to freeze my eggs for the future for when I do decide to have kids. The chances of the chemo causing infertility in my case is only about 9% and in order to freeze my eggs we would have to put off any cancer treatment for a few weeks, not to mention spend about $10,000. I know that one day I will have kids but I also know that everything happens for a reason.. not to mention fashion school in LA is not cheap.. So with all that in mind, I think I'll take my 9% odds and put that potential money towards FIDM. Which was the coolest school I have ever been to hands down! I am so in love, and I can't wait to apply once all of this is finally over! 

I love you all like crazy and am so blessed to have the support from everyone that I do. Let's get this treatment on the road and start kicking cancer to the curb so we can all go to San Antonio State! (That's not what I meant to type obviously but Friday Night Lights is playing in the background and you know how when you're listening to something and typing at the same time and you end up typing what you hear and not what you were thinking? Haha yes that's what happened there and it actually fit in the sentence so I left it hahah) Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose! Xoxox

2 comments:

  1. So proud to know such a strong woman. We still have a little bead necklace you made for Garrett. :) luck & Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog lex. Such an inspiration!! I love you girl!! BTW if you do loose your hair, I will shave mine to support ya! If there is anything I can do to help or get you smiling let me know im here for you girl!

    ReplyDelete