Monday, January 20, 2014

Diets or Donuts?

I think I got in a little over my head with my last post about dinner and laundry. My fridge is currently stocked with pre-made dinners whether it's homemade, store bought, or restaurant leftovers. I am definitely not complaining about it, I'm so excited every time I open my fridge and see so many delicious options but I think my scale is a little upset... as well as my esophagus aka heartburn. Before my diagnosis, I had spent the last 4-5 months sticking to a 90% clean diet and spending hours in the gym every week. The freshman fifteen is a real thing, especially when I was playing volleyball at Westminster. And let's just say our team loved food. Well I finally realized that I wanted to get healthy and stuck to a fairly strict (vegetarian) diet for a few months. And I love it honestly. It sounds cheesy but eating clean is really fun once you know what you're doing. I even made a bet with my roommate about who could get a six pack faster and I was definitely winning until cancer had to ruin our party!

Me pretending to get a six pack
As I wrote about in one of my earlier posts, my doctor was very specific about me not being on a diet. His exact words were, "if you want a chocolate shake, eat a chocolate shake." Well I don't know many people who have that much self control but I know that I don't. Not to mention one of the worst side effects of all of this is the fatigue. I need daily naps not daily workouts so it's safe to say that I've gained back a few of those pounds that I lost. (Crazy to thing I had that much weight to lose but I was down 21 pounds from what I weighed my freshman year of college!)

After this is all said and done and I start getting back into my normal life again I can promise you that I'm going to have a better six pack than Brian ;) Until then though, bring on the donuts and comfort food because when I'm sick to my stomach 50% of the day, you better believe that I'm going to eat however many donuts I need to make me feel better. My stepmom told me a story about the time she ate the worst donut ever.. Want to know how it tasted? Delicious. Moral of the story? There is no such thing as a bad donut.

That's all I have for now. I start my second round of chemo this week and hopefully it goes as good or better than the first round. Wish me luck!

Xoxox!

P.S. I figured if my hair was gonna fall out then it might as well be pink..



 




5 comments:

  1. We love you Lexi and we think about you everyday all day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I don't. Maybe gramps does.i only think of you once a day,all day long...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are gorgeous and strong and have an amazing spirit! I heard a cancer Doc say once that you have to change your thinking about food while you are in battle. Food plays 2 important roles. First; eat whatever brings you comfort or soothes you in any way. Second; think of food and weight gain as medicine to help fight the cancer. Try to eat even when it doesn't sound good because it is a strong weapon. Extra pounds are just extra fuel to fight!!! I have no doubt that you will have those hot abs as soon as this is over. So sorry you have to go through this. Hugs and love to you everyday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. This is Aunt Becki. My pic didn't show up. :)

      Delete
  4. AWE to the SOME keep up your amazing attitude... you are AEWSOME

    ReplyDelete