Thursday, January 9, 2014

Chemo Day 1

Yay we started chemo today! And yes that yay is only semi sarcastic.. Sure it's poison for my body and will make me sick as a dog and my hair fall out but it is also what's going to kill the cancer and eventually make me healthy again (at least that's the goal), so yay for that. I'm just excited to finally get started on treatment and to make some progress. 

So this morning I went in at 7 am to get my port placed, then directly to the clinic to get blood work done and then off to the infusion wing to get started on chemotherapy. The port that they had placed was under my skin right below my right collarbone, so of coarse they needed to do surgery for it. The best part though is that they didn't even knock me out! Yeah I was awake for the entire time and I'm not going to lie to you guys, it was awesome. They heavily drugged me..and I mean heavily. It was one of the weirdest things I have ever experienced but in a good way. Before they drugged me into a twilight state though, the doctor taps my shoulder. He says, "Okay Lexi, I have an extremely important question to ask you before we get started.. What music do you listen to on Pandora?" I think this is by far the coolest, (and cutest) doctor by far. So during my twilight zone surgery, i was graced with the sound of TIm McGraw and the occasional harmony of my cutie doctor. Yeah, it was pretty cool.

So after I finished up there I went and had my labs done and then we were off to the infusion wing. And no I wasn't nervous because of my amazing drugs from the morning, I was still on cloud nine. So they wheeled me around in my wheelchair showing me a tour of the place that I'm about to start spending a lot of my time at and then took me to my station. It was this little cubicle looking thing with a really comfy recliner, a couple chairs, a TV, and an amazing view of Salt Lake, The University campus and the BLIZZARD that we were gifted with today. 

My nurse came in and explained to my parents and I the drugs she's using, and how she'll use them. She first gave me an IV drip of some anti-nasuea medicine and the proceeded to pump me full of the ABVD that I talked about earlier. The whole time that I was in my cubicle receiving the drugs was only about four hours which was pretty good compared to the six hours we were anticipating. 

Overall it was a pretty good experience for my first chemo session! I'm feeling a little sick and groggy after it but overall not too bad. Let's hope everything continues to go as smoothly as it has been! Thank you guys for the continued overwhelming amount of support! I know that I say this every time, but I truly am so blessed to have all of you in my life! And for those of you that I don't know personally, I appreciate you taking the time to read my story! I love you all xoxox

5 comments:

  1. So you know I think you are a fantastic girl. Lots of love from Sandra and I. Get feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had a few 'alert' procedures -- they called them "I don't care drugs..." and yes, you don't care :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad your day went well, will be thinking about you, and love you bunches! Kick ass!!!!!

    ReplyDelete