Friday, April 4, 2014

Seven Down, One To Go!

It's crazy to me to see how people react in the face of death and disease. When I was diagnosed with cancer a little over three months ago, there were a few people in my life that I knew would be there for me throughout this journey. At least I thought so. They always say that hard times bring out the best and the worst in people but I've never experienced that more than I have right now. Some of my absolute closest friends turned out to be the most distant throughout my recovery and vice versa. The amount of people that have stepped up and really showed their support is overwhelming and I am so thankful for all of you. I try to focus on the good rather than the bad especially in situations like this where that seems to be all that I see most days. Cancer isn't pretty and there aren't many perks to it so when I find one I've got to take it for all that it's worth. 

Yesterday I started my last round of chemo!!! I have one more treatment left and then it's on to radiation. I met with a radiation oncologist earlier this week to learn a little bit more about the process and I'm not going to lie, he said a lot of scary things. In case you didn't know, my lymph nodes that have been infected by the cancer start in my neck, my collar bone area, and continue down around my heart and my left lung. When they start the radiation they want to make sure they treat all of the infected areas which means the radiation will target part of my thyroid, my lung, my heart, and some breast tissue. Because the radiation can be so damaging there are a lot of potential risks with this area the main ones being breast cancer, hypothyroidism, lung diseases, and pericarditis. My initial thought after hearing all of that was nooo way! I'll take my chances with my lymphoma reoccurring. Well turns out, if I don't do the radiation my chances of the lymphoma coming back are almost a sure bet and it's much harder to treat the second time around and I'd be looking at multiple bone marrow transplants. If I go on and do the radiation, because of my age and the fact that my cancer is only in stage two, the chances of all those other complications happening are very low. I've decided to do the radiation this time around and pray to the universe that no cancer or any other disease will come from it! It's safe to say that I am officially sick of being sick and am counting down the days until this nightmare is over and I can have my health and most importantly my hair back! Or is it the other way around..?

8 comments:

  1. I think of you often Lexi. Sending strong thoughts for you to beat this. Keep fighting. You're beautiful inside and out. Love and Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's to sending you positive energy Lexi, you're such a strong, gifted and smart woman. You got this...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an inspiration Alexis, I have only met you once or twice but I am proud to say I have met such a strong young woman who steps up and shares her story with everyone. It's so important for awarness to be prominent. So many young people think, "It won't happen to me" and choose not to be proactive with testing. Anyway, I am confident that your positive attitude will be reflected by the universe and you will punch through the other side of this cancer with more strength than you ever thought you had. Love and light to you and your family during your treatments. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't say much Lexi but your'e in my heart constantly. I would gladly take that from you if I could. I love you honey. Chin up and kick ass!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Alexis! You don't know me, but your dad races with my dad. And I started following your blog from the beginning. I even have my best friends reading it as well and we all update each other when your post an update. Anyways, I decided it was finally time I said something (and i am sure there are many others out there like me; people you don't know, and people you don't know you've touched with your story). Honestly, your strength, positivity and humbleness is amazing. We are pretty close in age, and I just do not think i would be anywhere near as incredible as you have been through all of this. Even if there are days that you just want your hair to grow back, or to eat some fries and not feel sick... or even if you complain an entire day (which, who knows, you could... i would) you are still a true inspiration to me/us. You are SO positive/encouraging/honorable, and it is that positivity and the support of those around you that will get you through anything! i hope the next chapter of our treatment goes smoothly (and it sounds like it should be better than the chemo) and you are back to healthy in no time. I just thought i would share with you that there are many people out there that are rooting for you, that you do not know, but are changing their lives and perspectives. God Bless. Whitney Shields

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never met you, but I follow every post and try to send you good energy everyday. You are amazing.

    (I'm your grandpa's cousin)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lexi, I wish more than you know that I could take all this away from you. I am so thankful to know such an inspiring, positive person. You got this! ♡

    ReplyDelete